Thursday, August 23, 2007

Embarrassment vs Joy

Have you ever felt so embarrassed that you feel like digging a hole and jumping into it?
I did. Thanks to my mum.

I was out with my mum today, nothing much other than the usual shopping around until she suddenly mentioned that she needs me to photocopy my student card. However, I seriously cannot think of any place in far east which provides photocopy services. I told her that i'll do it tomorrow but she insisted that she want to have it today. So, seeing that she was soooo desperate to get it photocopied, we decided to try our luck at the remote parts of far east. (For those who seldom go to the "back alley" of level 3 and 4 of far east plaza, there are some massage parlors, tattoo parlors and pubs, etc).

As we walked down, my mum exclaimed all of a sudden, "There's a machine there!" and she pointed into a tattoo parlor. i looked in and at that instance, at least 6 pairs of eyes looked back at us. One of the guys (with lots of tatoo all over his body) got my mum's intention and walked over to some guy over the counter, whispered something in his ear and came back to us.
I was still quite bewildered with whatever that was going on and i asked my mum," You haven't asked them how much do they charged". That tatooed-guy then replied, "Oh, It's free-of charge". And i stupidly commented, "Huh, really?" He replied, "Ya, really." So i took out my card and passed it to him (still bewildered).

The best thing is he actually asked whether i wanted to photocopied 1 or 2 sides! (must really applaude him for the good "service"). The others in the shop started giggling and someone commented to the guy-over-the-counter that he could start providing photocopy service. A sudden realisation struck me at this point.

They definitely DON'T provide any photocopy service! Immediately, i turned around and walked away. TOTALLY embarrassed. My mum, still unaware that she just did a ridiculously thing, thanked that guy and happily followed behind me.

When i nagged at her for being so "throw-face", she retorted by saying, "don't worry, it's like that when you come out to society." i just gave a "i-can't believe-you-just-did-that-look" and didn't say anything. But, i thought, why would anyone who is already OUT in the society mistook a tatoo shop for a photocopy service shop?! my gosh!

Despite being so "paiseh-ed" by her, we went to had our dinner. Guess what? My mum stood in front of cinie's entrance (as she thought that it was the automatic sliding glass door) waiting for the (imaginary) "door" to open! wow! so that's how the chinese phrase "Zhi ma kai men" aka "open sesame" came about! (seriously can't blame her as she refused to wear spectacles despite her thousand plus degree).

However, do not mistaken that i was pissed at her or anything. I really felt that it was super hilarious and my sisters and I totally laughed our lungs out!

It was really fun going out with my family (especially when we don't go out often). Really had lots of fun despite all the embarrassments caused by my mum. It is a great enjoyment to think back and laugh at all those silly, innocent incidents. Don't you agree? :)

1 Comments:

Blogger ♥ Lady Wen ♥ said...

Yeah agreed! Haha. Aunty so funny.

September 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home